FARAONE ANTICO [IT]
Exploration #229 Faraone Antico. Faraone Antico was a fortified village built between the 18th and 19th centuries around an ancient castle of which almost no traces remain today. It consisted of some 20 houses and a church dedicated to Santa Maria della Misericordia. At one time, it was completely surrounded by defensive walls, now almost entirely collapsed except for the monumental gate, which is still used to reach the village. Since the mid-1960s, the village has been abandoned, mainly following an earthquake in September 1950 that damaged many buildings.
The church of Santa Maria della Misericordia was also seriously damaged by the earthquake, but nevertheless, years later, it still retains its former splendour and is the best-preserved building in the old village of Faraone Antico. Next to the church stands the old rectory, to this day the only house still inhabited in the village.