Св. Климент Охридски [BG]


Exploration #179 (testo italiano a fondo pagina). We are in Bulgaria, near the banks of the river Iskăr, in a section where the river winds its way between inaccessible rocks in a gorge. It is a cold spring day and the landscape is made magical by an unexpected overnight snowfall. In this picturesque place, the Cherepish Monastery was built in the 14th century and is still a place of worship today. A few metres away are several other religious buildings, now abandoned.
It all began in 1902, when the Sofia Theological School was founded, an institute that became very prestigious over the years. During the Second World War, the School’s buildings were damaged by aerial bombs, forcing the students to be evacuated to various places in the country, including Cherepish, where until 1947 some classes were temporarily transferred to buildings constructed next to the railway. At the end of the war classes returned to the seminary building in Sofia, but in September 1950 the new communist government decided to use the building for the Ministry of Education and exiled the Theological School to the old buildings in Cherepish. There the life of the seminarians lasted until 1990, when after the fall of the communist regime, the Theological Academy regained its property in Sofia. Since that year the Cherepish buildings have been abandoned. A guard was initially posted to watch over the place, but over the years everything has been left to decay.
What we are about to visit is the church built by the seminarians removed from Sofia, dedicated to St. Clement of Ohrid (Св. Климент Охридски). The interior of the church was adorned with many frescoes, while the exterior was enriched by a narthex, decorated with columns, from which the bell tower rises. Since liturgical singing was also studied in the Seminary, a large balcony called ‘emporium’ was reserved for the choristers. The garden around the temple was also very well cared for. In the centre of the garden, a stone spring can still be seen, from which water gushed out to quench the thirst of visitors.
Unfortunately, humidity and water infiltration are slowly destroying the frescoes, and uneven ground is creating dangerous cracks by tilting the main walls. Visiting the abandoned church evokes mixed feelings. On the one hand, the quiet and peaceful silence accompanied only by birdsong. On the other hand, the empty church and the probing glances of the many forgotten saints show that everything is perishable, even the buildings that were meant to serve God.

Esplorazione #179. Ci troviamo in Bulgaria, vicino alle rive del fiume Iskăr, in un tratto dove il fiume si snoda tra inaccessibili rocce di una gola. È una fredda giornata primaverile e il paesaggio è reso magico da una inaspettata nevicata notturna. In questo pittoresco luogo fu costruito nel XIV secolo il Monastero di Cherepish, ancora oggi luogo di culto. A pochi metri di distanza, invece, si trovano diversi altri edifici legati alla religione, oggi abbandonati.
Tutto inizia nel 1902, anno di fondazione della Scuola Teologica di Sofia, un istituto che divenne nel corso degli anni molto prestigioso. Durante la seconda guerra mondiale gli edifici della Scuola furono danneggiati dalle bombe aeree costringendo gli studenti ad essere evacuati in vari luoghi del paese, tra cui Cherepish, dove fino al 1947 alcune classi furono temporaneamente trasferite in edifici costruiti di fianco alla ferrovia. Alla fine della guerra le lezioni ritornarono nell’edificio del seminario di Sofia, ma nel settembre 1950 il nuovo governo comunista decise di utilizzare il palazzo per il Ministero della Pubblica Istruzione e esiliò la Scuola Teologica nei vecchi edifici a Cherepish. Lì la vita dei seminaristi durò fino al 1990, quando dopo la caduta del regime comunista, l’Accademia Teologica riacquistò la sua proprietà a Sofia. Da quell’anno gli edifici Cherepish sono abbandonati. Una guardia fu inizialmente posta a sorveglianza del luogo ma negli anni tutto fu lasciato al degrado.
Quella che stiamo per visitare è la chiesa costruita dai seminaristi allontanati da Sofia, intitolata a San Clemente di Ocrida (Св. Климент Охридски). L’interno della chiesa era abbellito da molti affreschi mentre l’esterno era arricchito da un nartece, decorato con colonne, da cui si erige il campanile. Poiché nel Seminario si studiava anche il canto liturgico, per i coristi fu riservato un ampio balcone detto “emporium”. Anche il giardino intorno al tempio era molto curato. Al centro si scorge ancora una sorgente in pietra dalla quale sgorgava acqua, dissetando i visitatori.
Purtroppo l’umidità e le infiltrazioni d’acqua stanno lentamente distruggendo gli affreschi e dei dissesti del terreno creano pericolose crepe inclinando le mura principali. Visitare la chiesa abbandonata evoca sentimenti contrastanti. Da un lato il tranquillo e pacifico silenzio accompagnato solo dal canto degli uccelli. D’altra parte, la chiesa vuota e gli sguardi indagatori dei numerosi santi dimenticati, mostrano che tutto è deperibile, anche gli edifici chiamati a servire Dio.