Exploration #221. The origins of Cucirini Cantoni Coats (CCC) date back to the end of the 19th century when Carlo Niemack founded a cotton mill in the medieval town of Lucca. The company grew rapidly and in 1890 the small business was transformed into FIFC, Fabbriche Italiane Filati Cucirini, based in Milan.

In 1904 the Scottish company James and Peter Coats of Paisley, the main supplier of cotton to the Italian market and world leader in textile production, bought FIFC and from the union of the two companies came Cucirini Cantoni Coats. The new company was run by James Henderson, a young Scot who would only leave CCC in 1955, after running it for 45 years. James renovated the factory, which was equipped with the most advanced production processes and technologies, thus producing a product of inimitable quality. The production of yarns for domestic use is joined by that of products for industry.

Production increases, costs decrease and by 1915, the company had around 1,000 employees. The company was also a pioneer in communication and advertising and is the first to print the company name and brand name on every spool of yarn.

In the years before and after the Second World War, CCC is a leader in yarn production, introducing improvements and innovations. In its peak, the factory’s production reached over 4300 employees, and seven out of ten were women. The crisis came at the end of the 20th century, coinciding with the crisis in the Italian textile sector, until the final closure in 2007.

You might also like these other explorations: Linificio Canapificio Nazionale, Manifattura F.