MONUMENT TO THE SAMARA FLAG
Exploration #20 This large monument was built on the historical hill Chadar Moglia and is named “The Defenders of Stara Zagora”. It was built for the 100th anniversary of the battle for Stara Zagora, one of the major battles in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, which resulted in the liberation of Bulgaria after 500 years of Ottoman rule. A sculptural composition representing five Bulgarian volunteers and a Russian officer glorifies the exploits of six Bulgarian volunteer units, which fought under the Russian command. One hundred steps take the visitor to a 50 meter-high concrete structure that symbolizes the waving of “Samara flag”. The flag was given to the Bulgarian volunteers by the citizens of the Russian city of Samara. At the base of the monument an ossuary that preserved the bones of 8000 heroes was also place there. After the political changes the monument was neglected. The eternal flame went out and was never relit; two of the sculptures are robbed of their bayonets. The metal railings, the lighting and the electric installation were also stolen. Some of the metal plates and marble blocks, used to cover the ground surrounding the monument, were either sold as scrap metal or used as gravestones.
Source: archidaily.com / Witnesses Of Stone. (Nikolai Vukov, Luca Ponchiroli. Editore: Ponchiroli)