Exploration #6. Château Miranda, also known as Château de Noisy, was a 19th-century neo-Gothic castle in Belgium.
The Château was built in 1866 by the English architect Edward Milner under commission from the Liedekerke-De Beaufort family. The castle was built with many towers, conical roofs, and other neo-gothic details, with approximately 500 windows. However, Milner died before the Château was finished and construction was completed in 1907 by the French architect Pelchner after the clock tower was erected. Château Miranda served the family Liedekerke de Beaufort as a summer residence until World War II. A portion of the Battle of the Bulge took place on the property, and it was during that time that the Château was occupied by German forces. In 1950, Château Miranda was renamed Château de Noisy when it was taken over by the National Railway Company of Belgium (NMBS/SNCB) as an orphanage and also a holiday camp for sickly children. It lasted as a children’s camp until the late 1970s. In the 1990’s the owners began to search for investors, with the desire to transform the Château into a hotel. Due to the rising costs of maintenance and refurbishment, the plans failed and the Château was abandoned in 1991. The enormous building stated in a derelict condition, succumbing to decay and vandalism. Demolition of the castle began in late October 2016.