ZOMBIE HOSPITAL [DE]


Exploration #199 (testo italiano a fondo pagina). This hospital was inaugurated in July 1911, after two years of construction. It was the first communally run children’s and paediatric hospital in Prussia. For therapeutic purposes, the children’s hospital was integrated into a green landscape park, a special feature at the time. Another innovation was the ‘Milchkuranstalt’ in the immediate vicinity. The food preparation facility and the model stable were intended to ensure the direct supply of infants and their mothers. Surplus milk was sold to the population. After the Second World War, the children’s hospital continued to be used and was expanded with the addition of a block of wards shortly before the end of the GDR in 1987.
The hospital was closed in 1997. For a short time, it seemed that the building complex, which had been classified as a historical building since 1995, could be saved: in 2006, MWZ Bio Resonanz GmbH presented a usage concept for the operation of a modern cancer research centre. This redevelopment project was not realised. Instead, the investor let the site fall into disrepair. In 2015, the former children’s and paediatric hospital returned to the ownership of the state of Berlin by court decision. However, the interior and exterior decay of the buildings has not stopped to this day. Recently, a newspaper headlined that the former children’s hospital Weißensee is “the saddest monument in Berlin” (source: https://www.berlin.de/).

Esplorazione #199. Questo ospedale fu inaugurato nel luglio 1911, dopo due anni di costruzione. Fu il primo ospedale infantile e pediatrico a gestione comunale della Prussia.
A scopo terapeutico, l’ospedale pediatrico è stato integrato in un parco paesaggistico, una caratteristica particolare per l’epoca. Un’altra innovazione è stata la “Milchkuranstalt” nelle immediate vicinanze. La struttura per la preparazione del cibo e la stalla modello erano destinate a garantire l’approvvigionamento diretto dei neonati e delle loro madri. Il latte in eccesso veniva venduto alla popolazione. Dopo la Seconda Guerra Mondiale, l’ospedale pediatrico continuò a essere utilizzato e fu ampliato con l’aggiunta di un blocco di reparti poco prima della fine della DDR, nel 1987.
L’ospedale è stato chiuso nel 1997. Per un breve periodo sembrava che il complesso edilizio, classificato come edificio storico dal 1995, potesse essere salvato: nel 2006 MWZ Bio Resonanz GmbH ha presentato un concetto di utilizzo per la gestione di un moderno centro di ricerca sul cancro. Questo progetto di riqualificazione non è stato realizzato. L’investitore ha invece lasciato che il sito cadesse in rovina. Nel 2015, l’ex ospedale infantile e pediatrico è tornato di proprietà dello Stato di Berlino per decisione del tribunale. Tuttavia, il degrado interno ed esterno degli edifici non si è fermato fino ad oggi. Recentemente un giornale ha titolato che l’ex ospedale pediatrico Weißensee è “il monumento più triste di Berlino” (fonte: https://www.berlin.de/).