THE BLACK FACTORRY: CEGRAM – SGL CARBON

Exploration #113 (testo italiano a fondo pagina). This factory, founded in 1972 under the name of CEGRAM, an acronym for “Compagnie de l’Électrographite de la Meuse”, produced graphite electrodes. The company changed hands in 1994 and became SGL CARBON, an acronym for Sigri Great Lakes Carbon, a company created through the merger of Péchiney Carbone with SIGRI GREAT LAKES CARBON GmbH. At the peak of its production it employed 300 people.
Initially the factory produced electrodes with a diameter of 400 to 500 mm, a length of up to 1800 mm and a maximum weight of 800 kilograms, which were intended almost exclusively for the steel industry. Technical improvements were made during 1976, with the delicate start of the impregnation processes for styrene-butadiene products. The range of furnaces was increased to produce electrodes with a diameter of 600 mm and a length of up to 2700 mm. In 1986 a major commercial crisis occurred due to the abundance of global production and ruthless (and unfair) Asian competition. Half of the staff was laid off and the company specialised in the production of large diameter electrodes by subcontracting production from 400 to 500 mm. The company continued production until 1999 when the German headquarters decided to stop production of electrodes in Belgium. The plant continued to operate producing petroleum coke (petcoke) until its bankruptcy in 2007 when all production was stopped and the site went into judicial liquidation.
Many areas of the plant were demolished when petcoke production was transferred, others immediately after bankruptcy. To date the area still belongs to SGL Carbon but is in a complete state of abandonment. Of the former CEGRAM plant only the high tower for sieving, milling and grinding, called “black factory” by the locals, survives.

Esplorazione #113. Questa fabbrica, fondata nel 1972 con il nome di CEGRAM, acronimo di “Compagnie de l’Électrographite de la Meuse”, produceva elettrodi di grafite. La società passò di proprietà nel 1994 e divenne SGL CARBON, acronimo di Sigri Great Lakes Carbon, società derivante da una fusione di Péchiney Carbone con SIGRI GREAT LAKES CARBON GmbH. Al picco della sua produzione impiegava 300 persone.
Inizialmente la fabbrica produceva elettrodi con un diametro compreso tra 400 e 500 mm, una lunghezza fino a 1800 mm e un peso massimo di 800 chilogrammi che erano destinati quasi esclusivamente all’industria siderurgica. Nel corso del 1976 furono apportati miglioramenti tecnici, con il delicato avvio dei processi di impregnazione dei prodotti a base di stirene-butadiene. La gamma dei forni fu aumentata alla produzione di elettrodi di diametro 600 mm e lunghezza fino a 2700 mm. Nel 1986 si verificò una importante crisi commerciale dovuta all’abbondanza della produzione globale e alla spietata (e sleale) concorrenza asiatica. Metà del personale fu licenziato e l’azienda si specializzò sulla produzione di elettrodi di grandi diametri subappaltando la produzione da 400 a 500 mm. L’azienda continua la produzione fino al 1999 quando la casa madre tedesca decide di interrompere la produzione di elettotrodi in Belgio. L’impianto continuò a funzionare producendo coke di petrolio (petcoke) fino al suo fallimento nel 2007 quando tutta la produzione fu interrotta e il sito messo in liquidazione giudiziaria.
Molte zone dello stabilimento furono demolite al passaggio di produzione di petcoke, altre subito dopo il fallimento. Ad oggi l’area appartiene ancora a SGL Carbon ma in stato di abbandono più completo. Dell’ex stabilimento CEGRAM sopravvive solo la alta torre di frantumazione e vagliatura del carbone, chiamata dai locali “black factory”.