ÉGLISE SAINT-QUENTIN D’ESTRÉES-DENIÉCOURT
Exploration #99 (permission visit). The villages of Estrées and Deniécourt were completely destroyed during the First World War. Classified in the Red Zone, they should not, in principle, be rebuilt. The tenacity of the inhabitants made the authorities change their minds, so they authorized the reconstruction of the village of Estrées and the hamlet of Deniécourt and each had a new church. At the start of World War II, during the 1940 French Campaign, Estrées-Deniécourt was again destroyed. In 1948, the town joined the cooperative for the reconstruction of devastated churches. The Peronnais architect Marc Quentin, who was subsequently an architect in Royan and Rochefort-sur-Mer, was chosen to lead the reconstruction work on the church which was completed in 1959.
The Estrées church is a reinforced concrete construction. Its originality lies in its appearance. No visible wall, only the two sides of the roof that go to the ground. The lighting is provided by this original concrete roof pierced by multiple small squares furnished with tinted glass. The entrance is protected by a canopy and a fine concrete bell tower dominates the building. Inside, a concrete staircase gives access to a gallery (from Wikipedia).